Cherry Schnapps Hot Chocolate Recipe
With the new winter months upon us, the month’s featured recipe will highlight something to keep you warm and toasty. With the combination of chocolate, cherry, and a little schnapps, this is guaranteed to heat you up during the colder months. Enjoy making this Cherry Schnapps Hot Chocolate. Interested in finding out more about Chef Ryan? Check out his other recipes.
Cherry Schnapps Hot Chocolate
1 qt whole milk
8 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1# dark chocolate in small pieces
1 cup Cherry Schnapps
1. In a sauce pot heat the milk to just under a boil
2. In a large mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar together
3. Slowly add in the hot milk to the egg yolk mixture while whisking vigorously
4. Once the milk is incorporated into the egg yolks return the mixture to the sauce pot and return to medium high heat
5. Keep stirring the egg mixture and cook until it gets as thick as heavy cream. Don’t over cook or you will scramble the eggs!
6. Remove the mix from the heat and mix in the chocolate, keep stirring until chocolate is well incorporated.
7. Mix in the schnapps and keep warm until you want to serve it. A small crock pot works well
8. Pour into a coffee mug and garnish with whipped cream and maraschino cherry
9. For non drinkers, omit the schnapps and add cherry juice as a good substitute
10. Feel free to change the flavoring to fit your needs, i.e. peppermint schnapps